This privacy notice is for all users of websites run by the British Antarctic Survey (BAS), to explain how and why BAS uses your personal data. It does not replace the UKRI Privacy Notice, which can be found here: https://www.ukri.org/who-we-are/privacy-notice/
What information is processed?
Information processed through the BAS websites includes:
- information that you provide by filling in forms or surveys
- information in correspondence that you send us
- information you provide in accessing products or services, including payment, contact and delivery information
- information you provide when applying for a job vacancy, including your name, email and information contained within your CV, Cover Letter and the Equality Monitoring form
- details of your visits to our websites including, but not limited to, traffic data, location data, weblogs and other communication data, and the resources that you access
- information about your computer, such as your IP address, user ID of logged in users, and username of login attempts, are conditionally logged to check for malicious activity and to protect the site from specific kinds of cyber-attacks. This information is retained for 14 days.
For websites with accounts, BAS will process information to administer your log in and account settings. We may use this information to:
- respond to correspondence you have sent to us
- ensure that content from our website is presented in the most effective way to provide you with information, products or services that you request from us or which we feel may interest you, where you have consented to be contacted for such purposes
- provide you with a means to access or purchase products and services
- allow you to apply for vacancies at BAS
- allow you to participate in interactive elements of our services when you choose to do so
- evaluate and improve the BAS websites based on the way they are used
- notify you about changes to our websites or services
- check for malicious activity on BAS websites.
Transmitting information over the internet is generally not completely secure, and we can’t guarantee the security of your data. Any data you transmit is at your own risk. Information received by BAS will be held securely, in line with our Information Security policies. Your information will not be passed to third parties, except when this is required by our statutory duties, such as in the event of an audit.
When you log in, we will also set up several cookies to save your login information and your screen display choices. Login cookies last for two days, and screen options cookies last for a year. If you select “Remember Me”, your login will persist for two weeks. If you log out of your account, the login cookies will be removed.
Links to Third Party Websites
How long will the information be stored for?
BAS will retain your personal information for only as long as it is required, where it will be securely deleted. This is done in accordance with the UKRI Retention Schedule and the needs of the business. If you wish to delete your account on a BAS Website, contact email@example.com
If you have a question about or issue with how your information is processed by a BAS website, please contact BAS at firstname.lastname@example.org
We are registered with the Information Commissioner’s Office with the registration number za333592. UKRI is the data controller for the personal information we process, unless otherwise stated. Our registered office is Polaris House, Swindon
Our Data Protection Officer (DPO) is:
David Hyett, Head of Information Governance, Polaris House, Swindon, SN2 1FL, UK, Email: email@example.com
Updates to this policy
Policy dated: 16/01/2024